Monday, March 16, 2015

Why I Chose the Feminist Lens

For this blogging project, I have tasked myself with reading Beloved, the historical fiction novel by Toni Morrison, through the feminist critical lens. This is a lens that interests me because of the way in which it explored gender issues and the roles of men and women in society. Specifically this lens explores how the literature itself contributes to the social, political, emotional, and psychological oppression of women, something of great interest to me as a young woman. I have begun to notice a lopsided power structure and biased interactions between males and females and have started to form opinions on how I believe gender plays a role in our society. Our society is accustomed to an injustice in the treatment of women compared to that of men, but I also believe there is injustice in the way men are expected to meet a certain definition of “masculinity”. The feminist lens will allow my exploration of these ideas and opinions in a different era; Beloved’s post-Civil War setting will provide a look back into gender roles in the late nineteenth century. Reading Beloved through the feminist lens will allow me to dive deep into these opinions that I have and look at a level to this piece of literature that I would probably otherwise overlook.

4 comments:

  1. maybe explain how you personally have seen the injustice? good job though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting Laurel! :D

    I like how you explain about feminist lens and other other lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in hearing how you integrate the gender oppression with the political and emotional oppression during the historical time period. I will definitely continue to read your blog because I believe your analysis skills can dig very deep into the evolution of societies customs and traditions and will help guide me to produce my own opinion of the affect of oppression on the social classes during slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you chose to use the feminist lens to read this book because it can change your opinion on the two genders. I like that you added your own opinions on how gender plays a role in our society. I am interested in reading your future blogs and your analysis on the book since I am also reading the book through the feminist lens. Have you had past experience with this specific lens?

    ReplyDelete