Sunday, April 12, 2015

Blog # 1 Why I chose this lens.

Image result for feminist lens images
I chose this lens, because I was interested in the feminist perspective. I wanted to know and learn about how girls and women are seen in books like Beloved. Since Beloved has a big theme of the combination of darkness and females, I was interested in knowing more about the clash between gender inferiority and superiority. Based on what I read so far in Beloved, I think Sethe is seen as inferior to Paul D. Since Sethe has to take care of Denver, and her other sons are dead, we know Sethe not only appears as the mother figure, but she also fights the oppression. The oppression exists, since the book is set in a period after the civil war, so, to be a black woman was uniquely painful. Feminism allows us to see a new lens, not only of books, but also society. For example, women earn 77 cents, for every dollar men make. Is this the society we want to grow up? Feminism isn't restricted to one country or government, it's a global issue. In texts like Hamlet, Macbeth, and Catcher in the Rye, I see clear examples of feminism and oppression of women. Even today, we see discrimination and oppression. Women, internationally, are oppressed and stepped on. But this stereotype is fading. Women are participating more in careers and actions that were previously seen as a go-to job for men, such as carpenters, doctors, car racers, and even soldiers. This is the world we need, where a book can allow us to be influenced for positive, impacted change. Books such as Beloved, allow us to see such impact, where the true horror of female oppression is opened, and ready for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment