Tuesday, April 28, 2015

“Morrison's feminist perspective” # 6

Expert Post 1 “Figuration's of Rape and the Supernatural”


When I read this article, I agreed with its viewpoints. It showed that women were treated as "property", like objects. Through a feminist lens, I agree. In this book, we see the dark past of Sethe, Baby Suggs, and Sweet Home. The feminist lens also relates to the time period of the book. In the historical period where women were seen as inferior, sexually assaulted by their owners on plantations, it is clear that women didn't have many rights in the post-Civil War era. This article also shows us Morrison's feminist perspective when she "challenges the idea that that sexually subjected bodies fall within clear gender parameters". I definitely agree with Morrison's point of view; women shouldn't be subject to gender discrimination, especially if society wants to become more gender equal. The article also defines how Beloved is a representation of racially-based rape, where "all men keep women in fear". Though suggesting that "all" men is an overstatement, Beloved is seen as an embodiment of whites' assaults on blacks. In comparison to the article, I believe women should be treated as equal. In fact, why aren't we equal? If we drive the same car, eat the same food, and walk the same world, why can't women and men live the same, equal life? Is it logical to abstain women of their rights, because they're female? This article allowed me to see new layers of gender discrimination, and how the feminist lens isn't limited to a book- it's limited to our way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment