While equal protection of women has changed immensely under the law, societal norms are still a challenge for me and billions of other women around the world. After over a century of women working towards equality in American society, I still struggle for equal treatment as a young woman in the 21st-century. The “feminist movement” is one where women and men come together to promote the equal treatment of both genders under the law and in society. Societal norms regarding the treatment of women can be traced back to biblical times, where women are never allowed any powerful role in government or religion. For centuries, women have come together to support each other when no man was there for them. Much like women today and throughout history, the women in Beloved stick together to take care of each other when they are in need of help.
The similarities I sense between the relationship between Sethe, Denver, and Beloved and the relationships I have with my friends (old and new) and women in my community are solid. When reading the interactions between Denver and Beloved, I can sense the infatuation Denver has with this new girl; it is the same spark that I have had when I have begun a new friendship. This “spark” is something I believe is crucial in any relationship, but especially in ones between women because I believe we rely on these connections to be happy and courageous. I see Beloved coming into Denver’s life as Denver’s saving grace; without Beloved, Denver would still be acting younger than she is. Beloved’s presence brings out a trait in Denver that I think is existent in every woman: motherly instinct.
The relationship between Sethe and Beloved also highlights this “motherly-instinct” that I see with Denver and Beloved. While Sethe might not really know who Beloved is or why she is there, she stands up for her when Paul D confronts her about their guest. This “motherly-instinct”, where a woman advocates for a younger person like a mother would, is something I have experienced countless times. Whether it be help figuring out directions or dealing with a menacing man, women who I do not know have stepped up and stood by me like my own mother would. This is something I think is unique to the female gender and Morrison’s description of the interactions between Sethe, Paul D, and Beloved affirm this belief of mine. While Paul D is skeptical of the new guest, Sethe has no hesitation to take the girl under her wing.
This motherly-instinct behavior is something I believe is rooted in our human nature, as it is evident in biblical scripture and in our recent history. The feminist movement is one that I think is rooted in that motherly-instinct; all women looking after each other and fighting for each others’ rights. I think that Morrison’s writing really highlights and supports my previous belief that this motherly-instinct exists in all women.
No comments:
Post a Comment