Expert Post 2
“Motherhood in Toni Morrison’s Beloved: A Psychological Reading”
When I read this article, I saw several theories about feminism and it's context in Beloved. One theory that stood out to me was the argument that " the condition of slavery, even after slavery was abolished in the United States, became the metaphor for the relations between men and women in this country." This argument suggests that feminism reached it's growth during the post-slavery and post-war era. I agree. Women have been objectified for centuries, but the end of slavery didn't stop this. Even today, women are incorrectly seen as inferiors, attacked when they attempt to fix gender inequality. Before Morrison's very few writers could recreate and stimulate the maternal and feminine feelings of slave women. Moreover, this article suggests another argument: that Paul D. destroyed the "imaginary union between child and mother". This article suggests that Paul D's "entrance" represents world order, that men represent a balance in society. I agree with this fact. A mother and child have a unique bond, and the child belongs to the mother. If their unique, innate bond is distracted by the father, is this necessarily fair to the mother? This article again allowed me to see several sides of feminism. It showed me that feminism goes farther than rape or gender inequality. Feminism isn't about superiority, it's about removing inequality.
I love this! Your interpretation is very much like mine! The quote at the beginning really draws me in! I hope to read more from you!
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you are saying Jose. Men are seen as the restore for order and power in society and Paul D is used to do so in the novel, well that's what he aspires to do. Great Work!
ReplyDelete