There has been a saying that you must go through the dark times before you can reach the light at the end of the tunnel. This is the exact notion that most of the characters went through during the book.
All the characters have some kind of “darkness” that holds them back from truly being happy. Each one has different kinds of obstacles, but they all want to be happy in the end. As I keep reading through Beloved, the issues keep on piling on, but the characters keep trekking on. For Sethe, one time that was apparent was when she ran away from “Sweet Home” to become free and was laying to her death in the middle of a field. She had conceded to the idea that she was dead and that would be a blessing from where she was then. She was lucky that a girl stumbled upon her and helped her health to a point to where she could get through that period of time and caused her to have the motivation to survive. That girl, Miss Amy Denver, and her baby, Denver, were the two things that were the light at the end of her tunnel.
The other character that I noticed with the same issue was Beloved. Beloved was executed as a baby and never felt the love from her mother like Denver had felt. For more than a decade, she was in a different dimension feeling all sorts of pain, but after she crossed “a bridge” she was able to come back to where she initially came from and seek that happiness and love she had been loathing for so long. Her darkness was loneliness for years and after enduring that for so long her light is being with the person she has been loathing for, her mother, Sethe.
Morrison made it apparent that her message that things will get better as time goes on. This is, in fact, true for almost any circumstance that has arose in my life and other people’s lives. Times will get rough and become desperate, but facing the challenge face on will help the situation at hand. Just like the saying, hard work and perseverance will reward you in the end.
I really love how you started your blog with "There has been a saying that you must go through the dark times before you can reach the light at the end of the tunnel." This drew me in straightaway. I like how you also ended with "Times will get rough and become desperate, but facing the challenge face on will help the situation at hand. Just like the saying, hard work and perseverance will reward you in the end." I like how you include these, not cliche, but insightful comments.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nitasha! Your opening sentence is very powerful! I love how you used the quote and related it to the novel. Almost every character in the book has had horrific experience and at the end most of them are able to overcome their "darkness" and enjoy their life.
ReplyDeleteThe perspective on Beloved is quite interesting. I thought it was the opposite in the past but I can see a god amount of evidence to back up your perspective. It's a perspective I haven't thought of yet, thanks for the insight:)
ReplyDeleteI love how you start out by taking about a general theme you noticed throughout the book and related it to something you see in your own personal life.
ReplyDelete